Link is proud to partner with Just Want to Inspire, founded by Link alumnus Keyshawn Phelps, ’11, on a Coat Drive to provide much needed coats to children and families in Newark, NJ this winter. Drop off any new or gently used coats at Link Community Charter School on Saturdays from December 7 through January 11th between 9 am and noon. If you prefer to make a monetary donation toward the purchase of coats, click here. (Make certain to indicate “Coat Drive” in the “In Honor of” section of the form.) If you can volunteer at the school to sccept coats or have any questions, please contact Keyshawn at email@example.com.
Link scholars and alumni lived the core values of caring and doing one’s best as they prepared over 300 lunch bags and Thanksgiving cards for Apostle House, servicing women and children survivors of domestic violence; created “Thankfulness” placemats for veterans and senior citizens; and wrote three letters of gratitude – to a peer, a Link staff member, and family member. and made cards for veterans. Additionally, they created a virtual Thanksgiving Day meal! Thanks, Link staff for preparing for the students to have such a creative and productive day giving back to others!
Over 350 people gathered on Wednesday evening at the 22nd annual A Taste of Newark to celebrate Link’s 50th Anniversary, honor the founding Sisters of St. Dominic, Caldwell, and recognize the strong community that has sustained Link’s mission over the years. We are grateful to the participating restaurants, caterers, and beverage companies for donating their delicious fare and to our sponsors for contributing to the success of the event. Proceeds from A Taste of Newark bridge the funding gap that exists for charter schools in NJ and directly support Link’s exceptional student programming, teacher development and school facility.
Highlights from the inspirational program include:
- Link’s own Percussion Ensemble shared their contagious energy and fabulous rhythm with a special drum performance.
- Reverend Sue Schessler, principal at Link from 1984-1994, shared her passion for Link as an exemplar of social justice and equity in education and presented Maria Pilar Paradiso, current head of school, with a school bell like one she received at Link’s 20th (anniversary celebration, symbolizing the continuation of the Link’s pursuit of social justice in education.
- Link’s Executive Director, Maria Pilar Paradiso, shared the exciting news that Link is working to expand the school to add kindergarten through grade 4 to the current grade 5 to 8 configuration, so as to reach more students at an earlier age, continuing to close the achievement and opportunity gaps for youngsters.
- Members of Link’s faculty took to the stage to perform with choreographer Brother Jerome Hunter, a wonderful African dance piece.
- Link Education Partners Board chairperson, David Ferry spoke to the impact the school has had through the efforts of many teachers and staff members, as well as supporters and board members.
- Khalid Jordan ’06 shared his experience at Link as a middle school student and the effect it has had on his life and career.
If you didn’t have the opportunity to contribute to Link at A Taste of Newark or were unable to attend, there is still time to support Link! Click here to make a gift today!
The Link Community Charter School Board has called for a special open meeting on Monday, November 25, 2019. It will take place at the school at 6:30 pm. Action will be taken.
The Link Community Charter School Board of Trustees meeting has re-scheduled the open meeting/retreat from November 2, 2019 (which was postponed) to January 11, 2020. It will be held at the school starting at 8:30 am. Action may be taken.